Alex T. Larkin
Alex Larkin has over 15 years of experience in corporate and commercial law transactions, litigation and arbitration, commercial contracts, as well as international corporate transactions and dispute resolution. He has acted for clients in the real estate, telecommunications, food and beverage manufacturing, and tourism sectors, among others, and routinely advises clients on various commercial contracts such as franchise agreements, distribution agreements and licensing agreements, among others.
Alex has spent more than ten years practicing in Southeast Asia, focusing on Vietnam, Cambodia, Singapore and the Lao PDR. In this capacity, he advises foreign investors on doing business in emerging markets, including establishing business entities, corporate acquisitions, licensing and permitting compliance. In the context of international transactions, Alex has been involved in conducting due diligence on foreign acquisition targets including major beverage manufacturing entities, telecommunications operators, hotels, power plants and commercial airlines.
Alex’s practice includes a focus on dispute resolution, having acted for clients in cross-border commercial arbitration matters conducted in Singapore and other Southeast Asia jurisdictions, as well as on cross-border enforcement of arbitral awards. He has authored articles and chapters on commercial arbitration, enforcement of awards, and has been a speaker at numerous conferences on these topics.
Prior to practicing law, Alex was a mechanical engineer designing customized ultrahigh-pressure waterjet equipment used in cutting glass, metals and composites, as well as for use in certain projects aimed at prolonging the working life of aging nuclear power plants.
- Business Law
- Commercial Litigation
- International Corporate Transactions
- International Arbitration
- J.D – Seattle University (2005)
- B.S. – University of Washington, Mechanical Engineering (1995)
- Washington (All State Courts)
- Licensed Washington Professional Engineer
Associations & Memberships
Publications & Speaking Engagements
Honors & Awards
- Lead a due diligence project for the purchaser in preparation for a $20 million acquisition of a Southeast Asia entity in the food and beverage and hotel sector by a Singapore-based investment fund. The due diligence involved investigations into land-use rights, intellectual property, compliance with licensing and permitting, as well as labor compliance, and review of material contracts.
- Together with Singapore counsel, advised a Cambodian telecom operator on commercial arbitration proceedings administered by the Singapore International Arbitration Centre arising from an equipment supply contract dispute, with an amount in controversy exceeding $10 million. Further advised the client on cross-border enforcement of the final arbitral award.
- Acted for a major Quebec-based footwear manufacturer in establishing its manufacturing operation in Southeast Asia, including company registration, application for approval as an investment entity qualified for special tax incentives, and related matters. Subsequently advised the same client on the sale of its operations to a Chinese investor.
- Acted for one of the worlds most well-known beer brands, based in Europe, on its acquisition of a controlling stake in five related entities operating the second largest brewery in Cambodia. This included conducting due diligence on the target entities, addressing corporate compliance, land use, labor compliance, intellectual property licensing and protection, reviewing distribution agreements, etc. Also advised the client on the transaction documents, conditions precedent and conditions subsequent to closing.
- Acted for the buyer in a real estate transaction dispute in King County, Washington arising from misrepresentations asserted by the seller related to construction defects. Prevailed on summary judgment and secured entry of judgment for the client.
- Acted for a client in relation to the acquisition of food and beverage service entities in King County, including on Vashon Island and in Kenmore.
- Together with local counsel, conducted due diligence and provided a legal opinion on a Southeast Asian pharmaceutical distributor, in relation to its parent company’s listing on the Stock Exchange of Thailand.