J.D. Houvener, Of Counsel
As the Of Counsel Patent Attorney of MDK Law, Attorney J.D. Houvener has been serving inventor clients in the Greater Seattle area and Nationwide for over 7 years. His practice is concentrated on Federal Patent Prosecution (acquisition of patent rights). Specific patent prosecution work involved includes patentability opinions, design, utility, and continuation patent applications, office action responses, examiner interviews, petitions, and appeals.
J.D. is the owner and founder of Bold Patents Law Firm, headquartered in Seattle and his firm assists inventors and businesses alike. J.D. assists leading small to large emerging and high-growth companies in a variety of industries including those in the aerospace, computer hardware manufacturing, software creation and development, healthcare technology and medical device/pharmaceutical development.
J.D. has a Bachelor of Science degree in Industrial/Systems Engineering from the University of Washington. He began his career as a design engineer at Boeing working on the 787 airplane’s development. In addition to his law degree, J.D. received an M.B.A. in Entrepreneurship from Seattle University. His unique combination of education in the sciences, business, and law allows him to offer superior legal counsel to his inventor clients with an eye toward strategy and eventual monetization.
A family man and sports lover. J.D. is a proud father of 3 beautiful children, Stella, Emma, and Hamilton. Married to his wife, Mai Houvener, they spend free time enjoying the great pacific northwest outdoors and hanging out with family. J.D. loves playing flag football, full-court basketball, and bowling.
- Patent Law
- Trade Secret Law
- J.D. – Seattle University, 2014
- M.B.A. – Seattle University, 2010
- B.S. – University of Washington, Industrial Engineering, 2007
- U.S. Patent Trial and Appeal Board
- U.S. District Court Western District of Washington
Associations & Memberships
- Washington State Bar Association
- King County Bar Association
- Washington Patent Law Association
Publications & Speaking Engagements
J.D. has served on the faculties of Continuing Legal Education (CLE) events and has presented in various forums on Patent and Intellectual Property Law. Recent events, conferences, and upcoming events at which J.D. has served or will serve on are listed below.
- King County Bar Association, CLE on Patents/IP
- Washington State Bar Association, CLE on Patents/IP
- Economic Development of Snohomish County
- Seattle SURF Incubator Startup Education Series
- Washington STEM Highschool
Honors & Awards
- “Clients Choice” Award, and a 9.3 on Avvo’s rating system